top of page

New Guidelines For Super Visa Holders In Canada

New Guidelines For Super Visa Holders In Canada

On July 28, 2022, the government of Canada updated the guidance for the multiple entry temporary resident visa (TRV) for parents and grandparents. According to the update, super visa holders’ each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to 5 years. The super visa is a 10-year multiple-entry TRV that is open to eligible applicants for up to 10 years and has authorized stays of up to 5 years for each entry. The changes to the program came into force on July 4, 2022, and were made in compliance with the authority granted in subsection 15(4) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).

A Super Visa is a type of visa that allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to stay in Canada for up to five years at a time. Unlike a regular tourist visa, a Super Visa allows holders to stay in Canada for an extended period. This makes it ideal for parents and grandparents who want to visit their family in Canada for an extended period.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you want to invite your parents or grandparents to come to visit you in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a Super Visa.

New Guidelines For Super Visa Holders In Canada

To be eligible for a super visa, applicants must provide the following documents:

  • Proof of relationship to the child or grandchild (who must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident), such as a copy of the birth certificate or baptismal certificate or another official document naming the applicant as the parent or grandparent

  • Proof of an immigration medical examination and of being admissible to Canada on health grounds

  • Proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for a minimum period of 1 year from the date of entry. The insurance must:

    • be purchased from a Canadian insurance company.

    • be paid in full

    • cover the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation

    • provide a minimum of $100,000 emergency coverage

    • be valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the border services officer (BSO) upon request

  • A letter of invitation from the host child or grandchild that includes the following information is required:

    • a promise of financial support for the length of the applicant’s intended stay in Canada

    • a list of all members of the household in Canada (including the visiting parent(s) or grandparent(s))

    • a copy of the host child or grandchild’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document

  • Proof of financial support by the child or grandchild. This means that the child or grandchild who invites the applicant must prove that their household meets the low income cut-off (LICO)

In addition to the eligibility requirement, the Canadian or permanent resident spouse or common-law partner of the host child or grandchild may co-sign the invitation letter to meet the LICO minimum. The following documents are examples of what the child or grandchild, including the co-signer, can use as proof of financial support:

  • notice of assessment (NOA) for the most recent tax year

  • T4 or T1 for the most recent tax year

  • pay stubs

  • Employment Insurance benefit statement, including:

    • a letter from an accountant confirming the child’s or grandchild’s annual income,

    • proof of other sources of income (for example, pension statement, investments)

  • an original letter from the employer stating

    • job title

    • job description

    • salary

  • bank statements

It is important to know that the requirement to show proof of financial support (meeting LICO) only needs to demonstrate that there is enough income for the size of the household in Canada, which includes the visiting parent or grandparent and any accompanying family members. It does not take into account family members in the visitor’s household who are not visiting, regardless of whether they could be eventually included as dependants in the visitor’s family class parent or grandparent (FC4) application.

The new guidelines for super visa holders in Canada are now in effect. If you are a Canadian citizen or a Canadian permanent resident who wishes to sponsor your parents or grandparents, please contact us at Mesidor Canadian Immigration Services. We would be happy to assist you with your immigration applications.


Beoordeeld met 0 uit 5 sterren.
Nog geen beoordelingen

Voeg een beoordeling toe
bottom of page