top of page
Sponsor your child for permanent residence

Sponsor Your Child for Permanent Residence

You can sponsor your child to become a permanent resident of Canada if you’re eligible. If you're eligible, you must be able to support the child financially and make sure the child doesn’t need social assistance from the government.

You can sponsor your child if you:

  • are at least 18 years old

  • are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.

    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents

    • you can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada

  • can prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

  • can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor


You can sponsor your child(ren) if they meet both requirements:

  • they’re under 22 years old

  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

If your child(ren) is/are 22 years old or older, you can sponsor them if:

  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22

If you’re sponsoring your child, without sponsoring your spouse or partner, you’ll name your child as the principal applicant in the application. You’ll have to show that the other parent or legal guardian agrees to your child immigrating to Canada. If the child you want to sponsor has a child of their own (your grandchild), you’ll include your grandchild as a dependant in the application. Also, if you want to sponsor your adopted child or an orphaned family member, you must follow the instructions to sponsor an adopted child or orphaned family member instead.

Keep in mind that, if you’re a Canadian citizen, your child may also be a Canadian citizen, even if they weren’t born in Canada. You can’t sponsor your child for permanent residence if they’re Canadian citizens already.

To show that your child(ren) meets the eligibility requirements, they must provide:


  • all required forms and documents with their application

  • any additional information we request during processing, including

  • medical exams and biometrics.

bottom of page