top of page
Man in Suit Signing

Apply for a Temporary Resident Permit

No one will be allowed to enter Canada if he or she is deemed inadmissible Canada’s immigration law. If you are found inadmissible to Canada, IRCC may issue you a temporary resident permit if you have a valid reason to travel to Canada that is justified under the circumstances.

A temporary resident permit (TRP) is a document that authorizes a person who is inadmissible or does not meet the requirements of the Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations either as a temporary resident or as a permanent resident to enter or remain in Canada.

Note that a work or study permit or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is not a Temporary Resident Permit but rather, these documents are clearly marked as visas or work and study permits. You are not a temporary resident permit holder unless you are inadmissible, and you have been issued a document specifically identified as a Temporary Resident Permit. Generally, a TRP is only issued in exceptional circumstances, at the discretion of the processing officer and it may be canceled at any time.

A TRP must be issued only when an immigration officer or border services officer determines that your need to enter or remain in Canada outweighs the health or safety risks to Canadian society. You must demonstrate the reason for your inadmissibility even if it seems minor. However, there is no guarantee that you’ll be issued a temporary resident permit when you apply for one.

A temporary resident permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada. As a result, you must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit or get a new permit before your current one expires. The permit is no longer valid once you leave Canada unless you have specifically been authorized to leave and re-enter.

bottom of page