top of page

New instructions for international students in Canada working on campus

New instructions for international students in Canada working on campus

The government of Canada updated instructions for international students who work on campus on March 1, 2022.

According to the new instructions, foreign students who apply for study permits without submitting an immigration medical exam (IME) and who perform on-campus work as research or teaching assistants at facilities located off-campus will be required to submit an IME if the on-campus work is deemed essential and can be found in a hospital or any other public health facility.

The government also updated the section regarding work authorization for full-time students with a part-time course load in their final academic session. Students enrolled full-time at a postsecondary institution may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college where they are enrolled full-time [R186(f)].

Students will be able to apply for this authorization on their study permit and it will be valid for the period for which they hold a study permit at the institution and are enrolled in full-time studies during that time.

However, this regulation applies to students who are engaged in full-time studies at:

  • a public post-secondary institution, such as

    • a college

    • a trade or technical school

    • a university

    • a CEGEP (in Quebec)

  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec

  • a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to

    • a diploma of vocational studies (DVS)

    • an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)

  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution

Also, this regulation applies to students who are working at any number of jobs on campus, or as a research or teaching assistant at facilities off campus in research related to their research grant. Teaching hospitals, clinics, and research institutes are examples of facilities affiliated with learning institutions.

bottom of page