top of page

How to Extend your Temporary Resident Status in Canada during a Federal Employees Labour Strike

Updated: May 7, 2023

If you are a foreign national living in Canada as a visitor, student or worker, you may be wondering how to extend your temporary resident status in Canada when there is a strike by the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC).

The PSAC represents some employees of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the federal department that processes applications for immigration and citizenship. A strike can affect the processing times and availability of IRCC programs and services.

In this blog post, we will explain what you need to do to maintain your legal status in Canada while waiting for your extension application to be processed by IRCC.

First of all, you need to apply for an extension before your current status expires. You can do this online through the IRCC website. You will need to fill out an application form, pay the required fees, and submit any supporting documents as requested. You will also need to provide your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) if you have not done so in the past 10 years.

Secondly, you need to make sure that your application is complete and meets all the requirements. If your application is incomplete or missing any information, it may be rejected or returned to you. This could cause delays or complications in your status extension.

Thirdly, you need to stay in Canada while your application is being processed. If you leave Canada, you may lose your right to work or study without a permit under the same conditions as your previous permit. You may also face difficulties re-entering Canada if your status has expired.

By following these steps, you will benefit from maintained status and may remain in Canada until a decision is made on your extension application. This means that you can continue to work or study without a permit under the same conditions as your previous permit, as long as you stay in Canada.

We hope this blog post has answered some of your questions about extending your temporary resident status in Canada during a federal employees labour strike. For more information and updates on how the strike may affect IRCC programs and services, please visit the IRCC website: Labour disruptions impact at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada -

14 views0 comments


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page